Re: new sendmail configuration

----- Original Message -----
From: <redhat@stata.com>
To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 10:49 AM
Subject: new sendmail configuration

> in case I ever wanted to reset my services to the default level.  Aaron
> <akonstam@trinity.edu> responded "iNo,No,No. You stop things from running
by
> running chkconfig".  Directed to Aaron and others with an opinion, why use
> chkconfig (or any tool for that matter), when the other method works just
as
> well?  Unless I am missing something about how RH tracks its services
> modifying the link is not going to break anything and in my opinion, it
makes
> tracking changes _much_ easier.

There is nothing wrong with the way your doing it, which is manually.  But
chkconfig service on/off is a little shorter and easier to type?  Also using
chkconfig, instead of cd'ing to the rc.x dir and looking, you can see what
program(s) are listed under what level and such.  Actually, chkconfig is
easier in my opinion.  Try chkconfig --list to see what services are running
at what levels.  Then try chkconfig --list program to see the program
itself's listing.

man chkconfig for more details,

Mike