Re: new sendmail configuration

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:12:48 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:

> > in case I ever wanted to reset my services to the default level.
> > Aaron<akonstam@trinity.edu> responded "iNo,No,No. You stop things
> > from running by
> > running chkconfig".  Directed to Aaron and others with an opinion,
> > why use chkconfig (or any tool for that matter), when the other
> > method works just as
> > well?  Unless I am missing something about how RH tracks its
> > services modifying the link is not going to break anything and in my
> > opinion, it makes tracking changes _much_ easier.
>
> There is nothing wrong with the way your doing it, which is manually.

There is something wrong and that is the packages themselves use
chkconfig to add/delete the S/K links to the script in /etc/init.d
upon installation and removal. If you rename those links and remove
the package, it doesn't remove the S/K links in /etc/rc?.d. If you
forget about your renamed script and install the package again
later, you end up with two S/K scripts, one renamed, one original.
So, using the chkconfig wrapper is cleaner.

Another good reason for chkconfig is, that unlike the "service"
wrapper script it doesn't distinguish between standalone daemons
and services driven by xinetd:

  # chkconfig crond on   (<- standalone daemon)
  # chkconfig ipop3 on   (<- xinetd service)

You can't do the same with your technique, since you would need to
edit the xinetd config files in /etc/xinet.d manually _and_
restart xinetd.