Re: metacity window resize

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 00:01, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Rene Rask wrote:
> > Does anybody actually use that anyway. And why is it there. I can move
> > and resize windows by using the borders of the windows. Just like every
> > other os.
>
> Unless the borders are hidden. I guess windomanages shouldn't shade
> when you double click the title bar. They should xy-max/restore
> like windows, right?

I don't mind either way. That has never been consistent on any platform
all OS's do that in a different way. Different versions of the same os
even does it in different ways. Not a showstopper.
The one thing that is consistent is that you can use the top bar to move
the windows and the sides and/or the button right to resize it. So I
don't use anything else because I know it will work. The rest is just
annoying when I do it by accident.

> > Yes it works both ways. But I much prefer speed in an application over
> > being able to use a shortcut that is only linux related to move windows.
> > People working in complex apps know what I mean.
>
> Try using Photoshop for Mac and Windows. What was the switch...
> I think it was Ctrl-> Alt, and Apple->Ctrl.

Sorry. I don't consider photoshop a complex app. But since apple has
forced it users to have only one mouse button they need the extra
buttons even more.

> > Alt-mb1 and several others are a legacy. I would be please if they were
> > removed. It's just a thing from when linux desktops where used by
> > programmers which do not use the mouse for anything else that moving
>
> I could say the same for windows shortcuts. They are just "legacy"
> Why Ctrl+V instead of Ctrl+Y (ala emacs)? And the Home and End
Linux has no problems with ctrl+c or v. Maybe emacs does. Never used it.
That seems to be a standard across most platforms. (i think apple uses
the apple key instead though)

> keys are a long ways off, why not use Ctrl+A and Ctrl+E?
> How often do you need "Select All"?
I often use select all in windows but since its not there in linux I
don't use it.

I think there are plenty of shortcuts which are unnessary. Most of which
are rarely used anyways. (I know a lot of windows shortcuts that most
people newer knew they could use.)

But forcing _locked_ unchangeable shortcuts down my throat is one of the
reasons why I switched to working on linux. I don't wish to swallow that
pill again.

-Rene