Re: Problem with ISO 3

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 14:45, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 08 Oct 2002 13:59:30 -0600, John Weber wrote:
>
> > > See my other messages in this thread, in particular this one:
> > >
> > >   Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:50:33 +0200
> > >

> > I played with this, but I really don't understand what this gets me. I
> > now have a file on my hard drive named disk.out that is presumably 2
> > sectors smaller than the CD and/or the iso image. I've solved my
> > problem(see below), but I'm curious as to what one accomplishes using
> > readcd in this way.
>
> Wrong presumption. ;)
>
> The image disk.out is _exactly_ the same size than the ISO image you
> had burnt to the CD. Compare the size! Compare the MD5 fingerprint!
> It is the same. *But* no I/O errors at the end upon reading the CD.

Well, I thought I followed your instructions, but I'm not getting the
results you describe. I used the CD I burned for disk 1 and the file
size is not the same as the iso.

    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     675309568 Oct  8 13:22 disk.out
    -rw-rw-r--    1 jweber   jweber   675315712 Oct  6 06:21 psyche-i386-disc1.iso

When readcd asked me for the beginning and ending sectors, I accepted 0
for the start and subtracted 2 from the suggested ending sector. So this
was to verify that my CD was OK except for the extra sectors (if I'd
done it correctly)? No need to waste more time with me on this. My new
DAO capable burner seems to have answered my questions. The CDROM I was
installing from was also having problems, adding to my confusion.

> > Maybe a related question: Is there a way to list and extract selected
> > files (like rpm packages) from an iso image residing on a hard drive
> > without burning to a CD?
>
>  # mount image.iso /mnt/somewhere -o loop,ro

Thanks you very much for this tip!

--
John S. Weber
jweber@math.cudenver.edu