Re: Problem with ISO 3

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 10:18, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Incorrectly burnt CD which has a few run-out sectors at the end.
> Sometimes this corrupts the CD, often not. The MD5 checksum will
> never be okay, however.
>
> See my other messages in this thread, in particular this one:
>
>   Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:50:33 +0200

I played with this, but I really don't understand what this gets me. I
now have a file on my hard drive named disk.out that is presumably 2
sectors smaller than the CD and/or the iso image. I've solved my problem
(see below), but I'm curious as to what one accomplishes using readcd in
this way.

Maybe a related question: Is there a way to list and extract selected
files (like rpm packages) from an iso image residing on a hard drive
without burning to a CD?

> If your CD-writer doesn't support DAO mode, trying adding padding
> options when burning in TAO mode. If that doesn't help with the
> run-out sectors, consult my message on the "readcd" command. That's
> the one linked above.
>
> > I used
> >
> >     cdrecord -v -eject speed=2 dev=0,0,0 <image.iso>
> >
> > to burn the CD's. Any ideas what's going on? Do I have 2 bad cdrom
> > drives?
>
> If your writer supports DAO mode, try adding option "-dao".

I just bought a new CD burner that supports DAO mode and now the CD I
burn does correctly report the md5sum of the ISO image.

Thanks for your help,

John

--
John S. Weber