Re: Old Video Card Problem in RH9

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>He tried telling the config tool to use the vesa driver.
>It created entries for every "detected" card. Then acted like the vesa
>driver wouldn't work.
>
>Form the log:
>| (II) Primary Device is:
>| (WW) VESA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:11:0)
>| found
>
>For all the BusIDs

Looks like a problem in the X server's PCI handling code then,
rather than a driver specific bug.  I assume any video hardware
on this system will result in the same problem regardless of
driver.

>| Hehe.  I'm too busy on my own issues/priorities to go searching
>| through mailing list archives to find random emails in order to
>| help someone else.  ;o)
>
>He's on the redhat-install list, trying to get help. You nolonger read
>that list. I though giving you a pointer to the information would be
>better than reposting all the info.

I have never even once in my life been on redhat-install list.

>Yes he should join this list. Convincing him is another issue. I
>don't know if he has paid for any support, but he claimed the
>card was listed as supported.

"support" means very different things to different people.  Zero
of the drivers are "certified to be error free".  And we give no
warranty that we will fix every single bug that every single user
discovers either.  If we were to make such commitments, we would
probably throw out all of the drivers except for "radeon".

>| Not that I don't want to help, just that it isn't reasonable to
>| ask a volunteer to help, and expect them to go searching for the
>| details on a search engine or poking through mailing list
>Thread starts here
>https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2004-February/thread.html#00068
>
>Usefull messages
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2004-February/msg00068.html
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2004-February/msg00115.html
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2004-February/msg00129.html
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2004-February/msg00162.html
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2004-February/msg00179.html
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2004-February/msg00207.html
>
>| archives or whatnot.  Seriously though, if someone wants my help,

Again, I am a busy person and have many priorities that are of a
much higher magnitude than searching through random list postings
to try to help someone who according to you, sounds like they're
too busy to be bothered anyway.

Any help I give on this, or any other mailing list, isn't my
_job_, it is volunteerism, like anyone else.

--
Mike A. Harris