Re: Old Video Card Problem in RH9

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>Mike, I';m trying to help this guy.
>He got RHL-9, trying to get a  S3, 864 card going. From lspci:
>00:0b.0 VGA compatible unclassified device: S3 Inc. 86c864 [Vision 864
>DRAM] vers 0
>	Flags: medium devsel
>	Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
>	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
>

>Notice the multiple detections of the card.
>Any hints?

Looks like a driver or X server bug.  Unfortunately, such ancient
hardware isn't a priority in the bug-queue realm of things
though, so reporting it in our bugzilla wouldn't really help the
problem anytime soon.  Reporting it in XFree86 bugzilla might,
but only if anyone upstream even cares about the driver nowadays.
About all I can realistically do, is take the PCI ID number and
force that ID to map to the 'vesa' driver.

>I suggest he join this list, but you can find the thread in the
>archives for redhat-install-list, same subject line.

Hehe.  I'm too busy on my own issues/priorities to go searching
through mailing list archives to find random emails in order to
help someone else.  ;o)

Not that I don't want to help, just that it isn't reasonable to
ask a volunteer to help, and expect them to go searching for the
details on a search engine or poking through mailing list
archives or whatnot.  Seriously though, if someone wants my help,
they have to come to me either in IRC, or on a public mailing
list (Not via direct email of course, as I generally wont respond
to direct email queries/please for help).  If I have the time,
and have pointers or suggestions, I generally try to help out
people asynchronously on mailing lists such as this one as time
permits, or at least to advise or steer people in the right
direction.

Just imagine what would happen if people widely accepted the idea
that they could just tell me to go search google and find their
problem, and then get me to do so and help them.  ;o)  I wouldn't
do that for $50 an hour.  ;o)

Now, if someone dropped by my place on the weekend with video
card in hand and did my dishes so I don't have to use paper
plates, then I suppose I could fire up gdb on the s3 driver and
poke around a bit.  ;o)

/me runs

--
Mike A. Harris