Re: ATI Radeon M10 woes

Alex Deucher wrote:
--- Tim Currie <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi!
I've posted about this before, but since the message was
completely ignored, I'm going to try again. I apologize for repeating myself,
but I've spent the last month trying to solve this myself, to no avail.

I've got a shiny new Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M10 I think; lspci reports 0x4e50), running Red Hat
9.0. I've managed to get XFree86 running with the VESA driver at
1600x1200. I've tried a number of things to get it to run in the native mode of 1920x1200, but with no success. I've googled it to death and found a variety of seemingly hopeful suggestions, none of which have helped. Some of the things I've tried include: adding custom modelines in the

display section and referencing them in the screen section; defining
new modes; installing various custom radeon drivers (including one or
more from Mike Harris' ftp); and screaming loudly at it (while this was, admittedly, one of the less-effective solutions, it was more
satisfying than any of the others).

The proprietary ATI drivers don't work at all. They install fine,
but when I attempt to start XFree86 the screen turns an unwholesome
blotchy grey and the computer locks up tight. This, by the way, is the same thing that happens whenever I try ANY radeon-specific driver,
regardless of it's source.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

You may want to try a newer RPM, or a binary snapshot. mobility 9000 is
actually M9. M10 is the mobility 9600, it's r300 based, so no
opensource 3d. M9 has opensource 3d support.

DRI snapshots are available here:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Download

newer RPM's are available from redhat.

Alex

Hey! Good news!!!

By the way, sourceforge appears to be down, so I never got to try your suggestion. :(

But, in the end it didn't matter. I went to Dell's support forums (uh... duh! why didn't I START there?!?) and found a whole herd of people who were having the same problem with my exact hardware configuration. I followed the very long thread for a few pages and came across a complete XF86Config file that did the trick. Apparently the secret is in the modeline. This is what finally made the difference:

Modeline "1920x1200" 161.750000 1920 2020 2052 2184 1200 1202 1208 1235\ -HSync -VSync

If anyone is curious, I'd be happy to post the entire config file, just for the record.

Yes, I'm using the ATI proprietary driver, but I'm more politically in line with Eric Raymond than Richard Stallman, so it's not going to keep me up nights. ;)

Thanks again for your suggestion.

-Tim

-- Proprietary software is like petrified wood. It used to be alive, but then it was fixed in time and put in a box. GNU/Linux software, in contrast, is alive, always changing and improving. I love that it's more a process than a product. - Pamela Jones, groklaw.net