Re: Requesting experiences with dual-DVI cards

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Alex Deucher wrote:

> Just as a word of warning, certain combinations of multiple radeon
> cards do not work properly with xfree86 4.3.  A fix for this went in
> soon after 4.3 was released, but I don't know if Mike has it in his
> build or not (he does keep the radeon driver fairly up to date).  It
> should work fine with xfree86 cvs or a 4.4 snapshot.

I think you are referring to this (see URL below) - exactly the cards I
was thinking about trying.  :-( The speculation in this thread is that the
driver expects to see two heads on *each* card and will not allow the use
of only one.

http://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg00190.html

Here's a snippet from Jay Estabrook (later in the thread) describing how
he hacked the driver to work.

--
one was in radeon_driver.c:RADEONPreInitConfig(), to prevent "HasCRTC2"
from getting set for the RADEON_QY (the VE), and the other was in

Does anyone know if the fix Alex alluded to made it into RHEL3's XFree86
build - Mike?

I'd like to try and stay stock RHEL if I can and still have dual DVI.
I'll be ordering card(s) in the next day or so.  Offline, someone
suggested the Matrox P650 for dual DVI; I'm still waiting to hear if he's
using the open source driver or one from Matrox (not that I care very
much, but my opinion of Matrox's binary drivers for the G550 is pretty low
and it is definitely affecting my opinion of everything they do).

However it turns out, I'll post the results here for posterity.

Thanks,

 - Bill Hamblen