Re: Old Video Card Problem in RH9

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>| Looks like a problem with the PCI code.  there is a fix, but it is
>| awaiting feedback from the original poster.  perhaps you can verify it.
>
>So it appears to be a S3 problem.

Not sure what you mean by "S3" problem.  S3 the company?  The
driver?  The video card?

If this is happening both with the native driver and with the
vesa driver, I'm inclined to glare at the PCI code and wave a
finger back and forth personally.

>Egbert's last comment, #25, suggests building only the servers.
>
>If I applied the patch to the XFree86 SRPM, can I limit the build to
>only the servers easily?

No.

>If I build the whole thing, what would I need to send bbb, to get the
>change? I expect just the vesa driver, but not at all sure.

I don't know what "what would I need to send bbb" means in
English.  Specifically the "bbb" part.

>One other question, any know/suspected problems with compilers.
>He's on RHL9, probably up to date on patches, but my box is a
>hodge-podge of RHL9, FC1, 2.6 kernels, and other stuff.
>
>gcc-3.2.2-5, glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7
>
>Any other packages I should check for version issues?

Nope.  It is almost definitley an XFree86 issue.  I would bet
money on it.  It just isn't a particularly interesting or mission
critical high-priority issue per se.  The simple thing to do is
buy a Radeon for $30 on Ebay or pricewatch.com.  Saves hours and
hours of wasted time trying to figure out some obscure problem on
8 year old hardware.  Not the best solution in the world, but it
is an alternative anyway.

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/gdb-xfree86 might help someone to
debug the X server and driver module though if they're dead-set
on it.

--
Mike A. Harris