Re: Old Video Card Problem in RH9

Mike A. Harris wrote:
| Looks like a problem in the X server's PCI handling code then,
| rather than a driver specific bug.  I assume any video hardware
| on this system will result in the same problem regardless of
| driver.

Not according to the Xfree86 bug Alex mentioned.

Thanks for the help Alex.

|>| Hehe.  I'm too busy on my own issues/priorities to go searching
|>| through mailing list archives to find random emails in order to
|>| help someone else.  ;o)
|>
|>He's on the redhat-install list, trying to get help. You nolonger read
|>that list. I though giving you a pointer to the information would be
|>better than reposting all the info.
|

| I have never even once in my life been on redhat-install list.

OK. My bad. I though you were, before your email adress included
@redhat.com :)

Still, you have moved off most redhat lists, like the shrike and vahalla
lists.

|>Yes he should join this list. Convincing him is another issue. I
|>don't know if he has paid for any support, but he claimed the
|>card was listed as supported.
|

| "support" means very different things to different people.  Zero
| of the drivers are "certified to be error free".  And we give no
| warranty that we will fix every single bug that every single user
| discovers either.  If we were to make such commitments, we would
| probably throw out all of the drivers except for "radeon".

If I by a software package and it list my hardware/OS as supported, I
expect it to function. So, if RHL9 listed this card as "supported" I
would expect it to work. Like my TNT2. It works, and if it didn't
efforts would be made to fix it, yes? (I mean the 2D driver from
xfree86, not GLX or NVIDIA's driver).

| Again, I am a busy person and have many priorities that are of a
| much higher magnitude than searching through random list postings
| to try to help someone who according to you, sounds like they're
| too busy to be bothered anyway.

It took me 30second to find the thread in the archives. Another 5
minutes to find the relavant ones and add the links. It was only
mentioned, so you could find more information if you needed it.

Given you are *THE* Xfree86 guy at Red Hat, I hopped you would have seen
this before, and know a solution. I didn't expect you to fix it. Knowing
it should or shouldn't work would have been a big help.  I have no clue
about this chip, or any other S3 product. When I saw the X log, the
multiple detections looked like something that might have been seen before.

| Any help I give on this, or any other mailing list, isn't my
| _job_, it is volunteerism, like anyone else.

So I/he put(s) it in bugzilla, where you see it in 3 months when you get
a chance to look at RHL9 bugs, and close it as WONTFIX, since RHL9 is no
longer supported.

If you had no knowledge of this card or getting it to work, just say so.
No need to tell me I'm asking too much. Just tell me you don't know the
answer (or ignore the message).

	-Thomas