Re: Requesting experiences with dual-DVI cards

--- "William D. Hamblen" <william.d.hamblen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Alex.
>
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Apparently the oem Dell dual DVI radeon VE cards work pretty well.
> > don't have such a card myself, but I've heard of success stories on
> > some lists.  I suspect the dual DVI radeon workstation cards should
> > also work, but that's just conjecture on my part.  The open source
> > radeon driver has code to handle dual dvi.  You could also use two
> > separate cards with DVI ports.
>
> I looked through all of Dell's ATI offerings but I didn't see a card
> that
> was specifically dual DVI.  Here's the long URL if anyone cares.
> Many
> cards don't have any specs listed with them; so some of those are
> still possibilities.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=RC956904&cat=snp&s=pub&category_id=5406&sku=&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Page=productlisting.aspx&Pageb4Search=&spagenum=1&orderby=&SubmitSearch=&iCompatid=&brandid=&mnf=265&InStock=&k=&prst=&prEnd=

I'm not sure they even sell them anymore.  You'd probably have to get
them on ebay or through some overstock reseller.  I think Dell sold
them with their slimline corporate boxes.

> When you said "dual DVI radeon workstation cards" were you referring
> the FireGL class cards?  Since we do not need 3D support those are
> out of
> our price range.  Or are you speculating that any dual-dvi radeon,
> e.g.
> something like the Asus Radeon 9600XT, would work - at least for 2D?

I was referring to the fireGL cards, but partner-built dual DVI cards
should work as well.

> Mostly right now I'm hitting myself in the head for not thinking of
> using
> two cards.  It looks like you can get a PCI Radeon 7000 with DVI for
> less
> than $50 these days.  Or a 9200SE is also well under $100. The price
> is
> right and it seems plausible to me that two cards would actually be
> more
> straightforward because each is only doing one fairly conventional
> thing -
> single head DVI.  I suspect this is the way I'll go.

Good luck with your project.

Alex