Re: Requesting experiences with dual-DVI cards

Thanks for the reply Alex.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Apparently the oem Dell dual DVI radeon VE cards work pretty well.  I
> don't have such a card myself, but I've heard of success stories on
> some lists.  I suspect the dual DVI radeon workstation cards should
> also work, but that's just conjecture on my part.  The open source
> radeon driver has code to handle dual dvi.  You could also use two
> separate cards with DVI ports.

I looked through all of Dell's ATI offerings but I didn't see a card that
was specifically dual DVI.  Here's the long URL if anyone cares.  Many
cards don't have any specs listed with them; so some of those are
still possibilities.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=RC956904&cat=snp&s=pub&category_id=5406&sku=&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Page=productlisting.aspx&Pageb4Search=&spagenum=1&orderby=&SubmitSearch=&iCompatid=&brandid=&mnf=265&InStock=&k=&prst=&prEnd=

When you said "dual DVI radeon workstation cards" were you referring to
the FireGL class cards?  Since we do not need 3D support those are out of
our price range.  Or are you speculating that any dual-dvi radeon, e.g.
something like the Asus Radeon 9600XT, would work - at least for 2D?

Mostly right now I'm hitting myself in the head for not thinking of using
two cards.  It looks like you can get a PCI Radeon 7000 with DVI for less
than $50 these days.  Or a 9200SE is also well under $100. The price is
right and it seems plausible to me that two cards would actually be more
straightforward because each is only doing one fairly conventional thing -
single head DVI.  I suspect this is the way I'll go.

 - Bill Hamblen