Re: Requesting experiences with dual-DVI cards

--- "William D. Hamblen" <William.D.Hamblen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this isn't an inappropriate question for the list but I've
> spent a
> lot of time looking for a "safe bet" and haven't found anything.
>
> I'd like to setup a couple of RHEL WS3 workstations with dual flat
> panels
> and shared desktop (xinerama): one with 1600x1200 and 1280x1024
> displays
> and one with two 1280x1024 displays.  We care not at all about
> accelerated
> 3D - we just want nice clean 2D support on these systems.
>
> The hardware compatibility list doesn't list any video controllers at
> all
> for RHEL 3.  In the Desktop/Workstation class the Dell Precision
> Workstations are "certified".  The nVidia Quadro4 280 NVS is an
> option on
> that system at a somewhat reasonable cost, though I have not priced
> the
> extra cost dual-DVI cable yet.  Also, my experience with nVidia is
> that
> you really need to use their proprietary driver for anything but the
> most
> basic functionality.  I don't have a particular problem with that as
> long
> as I knew ahead of time that it would work with the RHEL kernel.
>
> Does anybody have success stories to share?  You know, something like
> "I'm
> using this and it worked right out of the box with my two flat
> panels".
> It's so much easier to find dual-DVI cards that do not function
> correctly
> in linux. :-)

Apparently the oem Dell dual DVI radeon VE cards work pretty well.  I
don't have such a card myself, but I've heard of success stories on
some lists.  I suspect the dual DVI radeon workstation cards should
also work, but that's just conjecture on my part.  The open source
radeon driver has code to handle dual dvi.  You could also use two
separate cards with DVI ports.

Alex