Re: XF86 config Problem - Redhat 9

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> I'm refering to the cursor-crossing-the-screen in Xinerama
>> causing the monitor to go into powersaving mode.  That patch is
>> definitely in rawhide, and is confirmed working by many RHL
>> users.
>>
>> If you're refering to another different patch, then I've
>> misunderstood.  Can you clarify what patch you are talking about?
>
>I guess I'm confused as to exactly which patches "fixes the problem".
>But here's the deal, at least for me, and I think a few other (most?
>all?) dual-head radeon users:
>
>4.3.0-10 does indeed stop the "cursor crossing screen causes monitor to
>go into power save mode" problem, but it swapped that problem for the
>"mirror/clone mode cannot be turned off" problem.  Installing Alex's
>radeon_dvr.o into 4.3.0-10 fixes the mirror/clone problem but leaves
>the h/w acceleration in 2D to be disabled[1].  Downgrading back to
>4.3.0-2 (i.e. what comes with stock RH9) and installing Alex's
>radeon_dvr.o fixes all three of these problems.
>
>-Barry
>
>[1] I'm not claiming it's Alex's driver that causes h/w acceleration to
>be disabled, but it's the combination 4.3.0-10 + the new radeon_drv.o
>that I tested.

What is in Alex's built driver, *IS* in the rawhide driver.  So
there is nothing to _add_ to the rawhide driver to fix the
alleged problem.  Alex's binary driver is _missing_ code which is
present in rawhide X, and which is not going to be leaving
rawhide X anytime soon, as it fixes a massive number of bugs.

Read the Radeon manpage from XFree86 CVS and try the
MonitorLayout option.  I haven't updated the manpage in rawhide
yet to handle the new options.

--
Mike A. Harris