Re: XF86 config Problem - Redhat 9

On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 03:32 AM, Mike A. Harris wrote:

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Barry Warsaw wrote:

What is in rawhide is what will go into an official update at
some point.  The patches you are refering to *are* in rawhide,
and have been for quite some time.

I can't ftp into rawhide right now (too many users), but 4.3.0-10 still
had the problem w/o Alex's updated radeon driver. If that patch is in
a new XFree86 on rawhide that I can't see at the moment, excellent, and
thank you.

I'm refering to the cursor-crossing-the-screen in Xinerama causing the monitor to go into powersaving mode. That patch is definitely in rawhide, and is confirmed working by many RHL users.

If you're refering to another different patch, then I've
misunderstood.  Can you clarify what patch you are talking about?

I guess I'm confused as to exactly which patches "fixes the problem". But here's the deal, at least for me, and I think a few other (most? all?) dual-head radeon users:

4.3.0-10 does indeed stop the "cursor crossing screen causes monitor to go into power save mode" problem, but it swapped that problem for the "mirror/clone mode cannot be turned off" problem. Installing Alex's radeon_dvr.o into 4.3.0-10 fixes the mirror/clone problem but leaves the h/w acceleration in 2D to be disabled[1]. Downgrading back to 4.3.0-2 (i.e. what comes with stock RH9) and installing Alex's radeon_dvr.o fixes all three of these problems.

-Barry

[1] I'm not claiming it's Alex's driver that causes h/w acceleration to be disabled, but it's the combination 4.3.0-10 + the new radeon_drv.o that I tested.