Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3

On 17 May 2003, Philippe Moutarlier wrote:

>As much as I agree with the previous post from Mike (the "LONG ONE" (tm)
>:-) , I find this situation with respect to original source usage a
>little annoying.
>
>I think the stock versions of anything like kernels, Xfree etc should be
>usable by people who want to be on the bleeding edge without breaking
>the architecture of the system. This means that Redhat or whoever
>distributes them should keep the 'structure' as identical to the
>original as possible.

Not when the original source puts things in locations which do
not adhere to relevant standards on the target operating system.
For our case, this is Linux, and the File Heirarchy Standard and
Linux Standard Base are what is relevant here.  The default
XFree86 location is irrelevant, and by letting XFree86 put things
wherever they want, the distribution becomes non-standards
compliant and not eligible for LSB certification by standards
bodies such as The Open Group.

>Of course, things can still break because we are on the bleeding
>edge and we better know what it means. But why is Redhat
>insisting on putting under Xfree86/lib file which don't belong
>there in the original version ?

Such as?  Please provide examples.

>This is the one which makes it very difficult to switch from Redhat
>version to the original. Not X supplying extra libs breaking the system
>(I personally never hit that problem).

Tough.  Standards such as the LSB and FHS exist for very good
reasons, and Red Hat, along with all other relevant Linux
distributions and some lesser ones are supporting these
standardization efforts, because there is a lot to be gained from
standardization.

Putting stuff where a random upstream author or project thinks it
should go, or where it goes on another operating system - so it
gets plunked there in Linux too is just not a good reason to do
it.

Feel free to disagree, but feel free to also go create your own
Linux distribution and do it how you want, violating standards
and all.  It's all open source, and nobody can take your freedom
away.

--
Mike A. Harris