Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3

Ok, I think I would like to give my 2 cents about this (and the rest
BTW).

Using XFree86 sources also destroys your RPM package managment
> and dependancy resolution mechanisms, and will also make upgrades
> to newer releases of the OS fail due to the different location
> that files are placed in between the RPM packages and the stock
> XFree86.org installation locations.

As much as I agree with the previous post from Mike (the "LONG ONE" (tm)
:-) , I find this situation with respect to original source usage a
little annoying.

I think the stock versions of anything like kernels, Xfree etc should be
usable by people who want to be on the bleeding edge without breaking
the architecture of the system. This means that Redhat or whoever
distributes them should keep the 'structure' as identical to the
original as possible. Of course, things can still break because we are
on the bleeding edge and we better know what it means. But why is Redhat
insisting on putting under Xfree86/lib file which don't belong there in
the original version ?

This is the one which makes it very difficult to switch from Redhat
version to the original. Not X supplying extra libs breaking the system
(I personally never hit that problem).

Philippe

--
Philippe Moutarlier <philippe.moutarlier@xxxxxxxxx>