Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3

Seems like I unintentionally stirred things up.

a)  I don't use my RH system for commercial stuff (its my home computer)
   I would use it for commercial stuff, but my company started  its product
   before Linus decided to write a kernel.

b) If something goes wrong, well, I'll have to start over, which is painful,,
but doesn't affect others

c) RH offers a great product/service, but you get what you pay for.
I work in the Medical Systems market. If you want an OS supported
for more than 18 months, one has to pay (big time), or just live with it.
In other words, buy the Enterprise version (hey, at least RH offers it !)
It is incredibly expensive to support multiple versions of software as a vendor.
I speak from experience in the Medical Systems market. The resources required
are enormous ... from requirements through design/implementation, all the way to customer
support, it all gets multiplied linearly at the least, and tends to grow exponentially because
of cross version interactions.

d) I've been using Linux since 0.99 (Yggdrasil), and I had to recompile
X and Motif 1.3 (and fix it to get it to work which made it sort of like 1.4)
on Solaris when I was a grad student. In other words, my assumption when I suggest
that someone compile something is that they know what they are doing, or
are prepared to learn how to do it, quickly.

e) Be nice to Mike. It looks to me like he's busting his *, and participating in this list
as a service to the community. Odds are, he doesn't get "credit" for participating on
the list. I'm sure he has other deliverables that he does get measured on.

Maybe we can try to learn how to do a proper repackaging of stuff so it fits into the
RedHat world. In other words, for those of us on RedHat 7.x we should learn how
to repackage things like XFree86 4.3.x so that it "plays nice" in our OS/version.
If someone would be so kind as to point me in the proper direction to learn what
is needed to do this kind of thing, I'll go and read up on it. Clearly one needs to understand
rpm, but apparently there are some external standards being adhered to, as well as RedHat
standards. My guess is that RedHat would have no problem with RedHat customers
supporting legacy versions of RedHat in this fashion. My hope is that RedHat will
provide a little guidance to help keep us on track.

Stuart Swerdloff, PhD
Nuclear Medicine
Philips Medical Systems

P.S. All of my emails are strictly my own opinion, and have no connection with my employer
in any way.