Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3

On Saturday 17 May 2003 11:00 am, Mike Harris wrote:
> >as well as lots of subtle incompatibilies between XF 4.2 and 4.3
> >that would/should require rebuilding other packages for the new
> >XFree86.
>
> This one though, is absolutely false.  ;o)

OK, maybe saying that there were *lots* of subtle incompatibilities was a
bit strong.  There are at least a few that I've seen.

> You should not have to recompile a single line of code to use the
> new XFree86.

That may well be in practice, but I've seen several applications require
rebuilding, though the only details I recall off-hand were those apps
using the X-Video extenstion, namely mplayer and xine.

-- Rex