Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Michael B Allen wrote:

>> >"Upgrading" to RH 9 is not an option. This is my work machine and I don't
>> >need any headaches. Right now the machine is rock solid and I'm going
>> >to keep it that way. Backing off X is one thing but changing operating
>> >systems is not acceptable and I'm sorry to hear RH is so quick to leave
>> >people behind and EOL versions they just put out a year ago. I would
>> >just like to use a flat panel I have but the current video doesn't seem
>> >up to it so I was hoping improved support for my chip would help.
>>
>> Don't even get me started.  You have absolutely no idea
>> whatsoever the amount of engineering resources that are required
>> to support releases for longer periods of time.
>:.,$d
>
>Ok, ok, relax, I'm not that sorry. But it is cheezy that RH 7.3 was
>released almost exactly a year ago and it's going EOL in December
>(19 months).  I'm not going to speculate about your business model. I
>don't really care. I'm very happy with your product. I've been using
>Linux since 2.0.35 and I'm perfectly comfortable hacking (albeit much
>less patient). But would it really be that difficult for you to provide
>updates until there's something to replace 7.3? By forcing everyone onto
>one bleeding edge version you're putting yourselves and your users in
>a potentially bad situation. All I want is stability and I'm going to
>get it one way or the other.

I respectfully disagree.  The current OS releases are no less
stable than 7.3 is.

If you want long term support and updates, then feel free to
purchasing one of our Enterprise Linux products.  We can't
produce updates indefinitely without receiving a revenue stream
which provides us with the monetary resources required to pay for
engineers to support the product.

If you do not believe current versions of Red Hat Linux are
stable and reliable products, then please by all means, feel free
to explore competing products from SuSE, Mandrake, and other
commercial and non-commercial distributions out there, as well as
the various BSDs.  If you can find a better solution which more
closely meets your needs and provides longer term support for
less cost or free, by all means don't hesitate to switch to it if
it meets your needs.

I believe in using the right tool for the job, and I also believe
that different people have different preferences and different
ideas of what is the best thing for them to use to accomplish the
task at hand.  There is no reason why Red Hat Linux 9 can't be
that tool, and I hope it is that tool.  But if it is not, that is
fine too.  What is important is that the person using Linux, is
using open source software, and that it is doing the job for them
in a way that is desireable for their purposes.

--
Mike A. Harris