Re: Dell Inspiron Intel 830 CHipset and Resolution

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, skip wrote:

>Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:29:58 -0500
>From: skip <skip@umd.edu>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Dell Inspiron Intel 830 CHipset and Resolution
>
>Hello All,
>
>I recently installed RH8 on my Insprion 2600. Discovered the Intel
>Chipset problem and am looking for a resolution resolution.  Know that I
>should upgrade my XFree86 server, but am having troubles doing so.
>Upgraded my linux kernel using up2date, but have gotten no further.
>Anyone else done this that could point me to some resources?  Thanks,

The only solutions to this problem, is to wait until XFree86
4.3.0 is released and integrated into a new Red Hat Linux
release, or to install the rawhide XFree86, rawhide kernel, and
various other rawhide dependancies.  Rawhide is not recommended
for production systems, and not supported.

Note that this problem is not an XFree86 bug, but is a bug in the
laptop itself, which is worked around by some driver workarounds
since Dell won't release updated BIOS that fixes this bug in
their BIOS.