Re: Radeon 7500 PCI + RH7.3 problems

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>One odd thing is that X identifies the card as a "ATI Radeon 7500 QW"
>and looking at the XFree86.0.log, it seems to think this is an AGP
>card.  It's not though, it's definitely a PCI 7500.  I don't know if
>that's significant.

All Radeon hardware chipsets are AGP.  The X server is reporting
an AGP chip because a Radeon PCI is a PCI card with a Radeon AGP
chip on it.  AGP is an extension of PCI.  When the chip is on a
PCI card, the AGP features are merely nonexistant.  Note that it
is the _exact_ same chip on a Radeon PCI or AGP card.  They are
not distinguishable via PCI ID.

>First, the screen running off the VGA port looks pretty sharp, except
>that there are ghost lines moving off to the right for all vertical
>lines displayed.  E.g. the inside left edge of my Mozilla windows has
>about 5 ghost lines moving into the body of the window at decreasing
>intensities.  The problem is worse with saturated window border colors
>(e.g. red) and light backgrounds.
>
>Second, the screen driven off the DVI port has lots of fuzziness that
>no amount of pixel clock or phase settings gets rid of.  There are
>very heavy vertical ghosts again moving off to the right, but they are
>fewer, darker, and closer together than on the VGA screen.
>
>Third, console mode has problems.  While the text is quite sharp (in
>contrast to the images under X), the two screens are mirrored and way
>too far to the left.  The left, say 1" or 2" of text is cut off.
>
>I'm less suspicious about the monitors and cabling because I've driven
>the same hardware off an ATI 8500 Mac card on my OSX G4 and they look
>great.  Very sharp, no ghosts, no glitches.
>
>Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I've attached my XF86Config-4 file
>below.  XFree86.0.log available on request.

Hard to say what the problem might be.  It's probably a generic
driver timing issue with the specific display hardware you've
got, or even driver generic.  If it is a driver bug however, it
is most likely unfixable except by someone with the same video
card, monitor/panel and ATI docs.

You might find the xfree86@xfree86.org list to be more helpful as
this is likely a generic XFree86 issue than one specific to Red
Hat Linux.

Hope this helps.
TTYL