Re: The i830 saga

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Andre Costa wrote:

>> >a> specific installation because dependencies cannot be resolved
>> >repository> for bleeding-edge packages.
>> >
>> >Yes, that is a little bit irritating with rpm.
>>
>> Irritating perhaps to some.  But intentional.
>
>You mean that the lack of ability to realize all dependencies for a
>package recursively (and, even better, to automatically do necessary
>upgrades) is intentional?

The lack of rawhide working with up2date is intentional.  Rawhide
is developmental packages, and not intended for end users to be
using in production environments.  Rawhide packages can be
completely broken at any point in time, and can totally hose your
system.  Having up2date freely and easily allow Harry Homeowner
to blow away his system on a whim without understanding the total
consequences of his actions, or without even really understanding
just what rawhide really is, and then having him blame up2date
for destroying his system, is not the type of thing that we want
up2date represented by.

There are other reasons as well, but I don't feel the need to go
into them here because:

1) This discussion is now off topic for this mailing list

2) Discussion/debate of this will result in no change, and is
   thus a waste of everyone's time

3) I have no personal intereste in debating the issue

>I know up2date and RedCarpet try to solve this, but my
>experience with RedCarpet so far isn't the best, and AFAIK
>up2date is meant to provide "safe updates" (i.e. it only gives
>me access to "official" updates packages). Please feel free to
>correct me if I am wrong ;)

Precicely.  up2date is the vehicle for delivering updated
packages via Red Hat Network.  It updates the current OS you are
running to the latest updated packages for that OS release.

Rawhide is not an OS release, it is an ongoing mishmash of
packages that represent the internal development tree.  Rawhide
is provided only to allow people to test individual packages,
etc. and is not intended to be an installable tree.  Rawhide may
have packages in it and have the dependancies missing.  Many
other caveats could exist in rawhide.

Let's please let this thread die now, as it does not suit the
purpose of this mailing list.

For the record...  This list was created in order for me to have
a method of announcing new test packages of XFree86 to beta
testers, and to discuss issues related to testing of XFree86.
It also is a general forum for discussing XFree86 related issues
pertaining to Red Hat Linux.

I'd prefer it if we don't clutter it with off topic debates.

Thanks.