Re: The i830 saga

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Andre Costa wrote:

>As a final suggestion, YMMV but I believe you don't need to install all
>30 packages. Here I have:

No no no no no!  Do not mix and match XFree86 releases.  There
are more than just code changes.  The actual font packages
themselves, and many other subpackages contain all sorts of
changes that are necessary for proper installation and operation.

Mixing and matching some of them might or might not work, but
increases the chances incredibly that you'll end up with a broken
installation.

Do _not_ file bugs in bugzilla if mixing different XFree86
release RPMs.

>~ rpm -qa | grep XFree
>XFree86-libs-data-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-xfs-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-base-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-xauth-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-devel-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-libs-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-font-utils-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>XFree86-tools-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>
>(of course, I have all mentioned dependencies installed as well).
>
>I am not sure, but you probably need updated versions of fontconfig and
>freetype too.

Absolutely required.

>Last but not least, maybe you're indeed getting RawHide wrong;
>it suffers from the same conceptual flaw all RPM-based distros
>suffer: there is no automatic way of retrieving all packages
>necessary for a specific installation because dependencies
>cannot be resolved automatically (a la Debian's apt-get).
>RawHide is merely a repository for bleeding-edge packages.

Which is very much intentional.  Rawhide is not intended to be
used in that manner.  You can consider it a flaw if you like, but
it isn't.  You just would like rawhide to be something that it is
not.  There's nothing wrong wanting something like that though.