Re: The i830 saga

On 17 Jan 2003, Jon Haugsand wrote:

>Thank you very much.  I am perhaps closer now.  When trying out only
>your packages, a lot was kissing, but this is due to all the old
>packages I have installed that has to be upgraded.
>
>Therefore I tryied the big one once more:
>
> rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm
>warning: fontconfig-2.1-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 897da07a
>warning: package redhat-config-xfree86 = 0.7.1-3 was already added, replacing with redhat-config-xfree86 <= 0.7.1-5
>error: Failed dependencies:
>        libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2.2) is needed by ttmkfdir-3.0.5-1
>        kernel-drm = 4.2.99.2 is needed by XFree86-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.2) is needed by XFree86-libs-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>        libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2) is needed by XFree86-tools-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
>
>However, I'll try to use --force or something.

You will severely hose your system.

The --force and --nodeps rpm options should not ever be used in
99% of the cases most people use them.  Most people just do not
understand the proper way to solve a given RPM issue at hand, and
resort to the --force and/or --nodeps sledgehammers.

There are valid and safe uses of those commandline switches
however only experienced users should use them and only with
great care.  Forcing a dependancy does not make the dependancy
exist.  It makes the software fail some time later on when the
reason the dependancy exists is triggered but not present on the
system due to using forcing and ignoring dependancies.

In this case, rawhide is mildly unstable right now.  The addition
of NPTL to glibc is in beta testing in order to find bugs.  X is
saying it requires rawhide glibc above, which means it _requires_
rawhide's glibc.  If you force it, expect problems.

I also don't recommend solving it by installing rawhide glibc
either.  ;o)

/me adds more confusion to the puzzle.

>> Last but not least, maybe you're indeed getting RawHide wrong; it
>> suffers from the same conceptual flaw all RPM-based distros suffer:
>> there is no automatic way of retrieving all packages necessary for a
>> specific installation because dependencies cannot be resolved
>> automatically (a la Debian's apt-get). RawHide is merely a repository
>> for bleeding-edge packages.
>
>Yes, that is a little bit irritating with rpm.

Irritating perhaps to some.  But intentional.