Re: The i830 saga

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:20:55 -0500 (EST)
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com> wrote:

[snip]
> >> Last but not least, maybe you're indeed getting RawHide wrong; it
> >> suffers from the same conceptual flaw all RPM-based distros suffer:
> >> there is no automatic way of retrieving all packages necessary for
> >a> specific installation because dependencies cannot be resolved
> >> automatically (a la Debian's apt-get). RawHide is merely a
> >repository> for bleeding-edge packages.
> >
> >Yes, that is a little bit irritating with rpm.
>
> Irritating perhaps to some.  But intentional.

You mean that the lack of ability to realize all dependencies for a
package recursively (and, even better, to automatically do necessary
upgrades) is intentional? I know up2date and RedCarpet try to solve
this, but my experience with RedCarpet so far isn't the best, and AFAIK
up2date is meant to provide "safe updates" (i.e. it only gives me access
to "official" updates packages). Please feel free to correct me if I am
wrong ;)

Please, understand I am not bitching, I know you guys work very hard to
improve RPM in every way you can (and I am very grateful for that), I am
just trying to understand what we can expect from it.

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa