Re: The i830 saga

Hi Mike, everybody,

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:20:55 -0500 (EST)
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com> wrote:

> You will severely hose your system.
>
> The --force and --nodeps rpm options should not ever be used in
> 99% of the cases most people use them.  Most people just do not
> understand the proper way to solve a given RPM issue at hand, and
> resort to the --force and/or --nodeps sledgehammers.
>
> There are valid and safe uses of those commandline switches
> however only experienced users should use them and only with
> great care.  Forcing a dependancy does not make the dependancy
> exist.  It makes the software fail some time later on when the
> reason the dependancy exists is triggered but not present on the
> system due to using forcing and ignoring dependancies.

Agreed 100%. Even though I was the one that suggested --force earlier,
please notice that I didn't recommend using it unless for very specific
circumstances:

<quote>
"Generally speaking, I only go for --force
if I am absolutely sure I can ignore RPM warnings (such as in this
kernel-drm case)."
</quote>

(I will never have kernel-drm packages since I don't use RH kernels and
DRM doesn't work for NVidia cards).

> In this case, rawhide is mildly unstable right now.  The addition
> of NPTL to glibc is in beta testing in order to find bugs.  X is
> saying it requires rawhide glibc above, which means it _requires_
> rawhide's glibc.  If you force it, expect problems.
>
> I also don't recommend solving it by installing rawhide glibc
> either.  ;o)
>
> /me adds more confusion to the puzzle.

One thing one *can* do is download XFree86-4.2.99.3-20021230.4 SRPM and
compile it himself, even if he doesn't have RawHide glibc installed. I
did this, and it is working here (RH 7.1, glibc 2.2.4 from RH updates).

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa