Re: The i830 saga

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:15:56 -0500 (EST)
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Andre Costa wrote:
>
> >As a final suggestion, YMMV but I believe you don't need to install
> >all 30 packages. Here I have:
>
> No no no no no!  Do not mix and match XFree86 releases.  There
> are more than just code changes.  The actual font packages
> themselves, and many other subpackages contain all sorts of
> changes that are necessary for proper installation and operation.
>
> Mixing and matching some of them might or might not work, but
> increases the chances incredibly that you'll end up with a broken
> installation.
>
> Do _not_ file bugs in bugzilla if mixing different XFree86
> release RPMs.

... I believe I was misunderstood again, please apologize. I was not
suggesting Jon mixed XFree86 packages from different releases. I
intended to say this minimal set should work, but it was assumed these
would be *the only* XFree86 packages on the system (please notice by the
'rpm -qa | grep XFree' below that this is indeed the case on my system).

> >~ rpm -qa | grep XFree
> >XFree86-libs-data-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-xfs-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-base-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-xauth-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-devel-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-libs-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-font-utils-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >XFree86-tools-4.2.99.3-20021230.4
> >
> >(of course, I have all mentioned dependencies installed as well).
> >
> >I am not sure, but you probably need updated versions of fontconfig
> >and freetype too.
>
> Absolutely required.
>
> >Last but not least, maybe you're indeed getting RawHide wrong;
> >it suffers from the same conceptual flaw all RPM-based distros
> >suffer: there is no automatic way of retrieving all packages
> >necessary for a specific installation because dependencies
> >cannot be resolved automatically (a la Debian's apt-get).
> >RawHide is merely a repository for bleeding-edge packages.
>
> Which is very much intentional.  Rawhide is not intended to be
> used in that manner.  You can consider it a flaw if you like, but
> it isn't.  You just would like rawhide to be something that it is
> not.  There's nothing wrong wanting something like that though.

Right. As for me, I am ok with RawHide being what it is today, even if
it does mean sometimes I cannot install some packages -- that's the
side-effect of being a repository for bleeding-edge packages. My main
complaint is not with RawHide itself, but instead it's about RPM in
general lacking the ability to automatically resolve *all* (and this
means recursion) dependencies for a package. But this is OT for this
list, and certainly something not trivial so solve.

Hope I have cleared all misunderstandings my statements might have
caused. Please apologize for any confusion.

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa