Re: Nice value of X

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Alfredo Sanjuan wrote:

>    I have a fresh install of redhat 8.0 and I've seen that the
>X process is running with a nice value of -10. I have another
>machine upgraded from 7.3 to 8.0 and the X process isn't running
>with that nice value. What script do I need to update to renice
>the X process in the second machine to -10? I can put some
>tricks in the .bashrc to detect the pid of the X process and
>then send a renice to it, but I think there is a script
>somewhere that I need to update to get the same behaviour in
>both machines. Any help?

None.  The kernel renices processes that do ioperm()/iopl()
automatically in an attempt to make interactive I/O much better.

You can't configure it as it is hard coded into the kernel
itself.

Personally, I've always been against this kernel modification,
and thought it was an ugly solution to the problem, but it was
done to improve interactive performance as I've said above.

Since then, quite recently, this patch was removed from the
kernel (YaY!), and now things are as they were before.  I do not
know if a kernel has been erratumed with this or not, but the
rawhide kernel definitely does not have this hack anymore.

Hope this helps.