Re: Dell Inspiron Intel 830 CHipset and Resolution

t> Hey, Skip, www.xig.com has released the summit driver that
t> addresses this issue.

Well, that's not the only solution.  I never could get xig's software
to work, so I built my own XFree from CVS and have complete support on
both of my Dell C400 laptops.  Things are even easier now that Mike
Harris made up RPMs containing newer XFree snapshots.  But they aren't
officially released, so you can't get them via up2date.

Possible things to do:

Install the recent Red Hat beta.  I think it has sufficiently recent
development packages.

Grab new XFree and kernel RPMs (and maybe other necessary packages)
from Rawhide and install them.  You can always back them out if they
bust your machine.

There is info on all of this in the list archives, so do skim over
them.  Yes, you have to do extra work and use development releases,
but the chipset just isn't supported under Red Hat 8.0.

 - J<