X11 over SSH connection resets

Hello,

I use Red Hat Linux 7.3 to serve X11 applications over SSH. The client for these
applications is Mac OS X running X11 client. The SSH connections drop after a
few hours of inactivity on the client side. However, I would like to keep the
connections open, such that the X11 applications are still alive from one day
to another.

For the Red Hat Linux server, in file /etc/ssh/sshd_config I added the
following options

KeepAlive yes
ClientAliveInterval 180
ClientAliveCountMax 1440

And also in the Mac OS X client the following line was added to file
/etc/ssh_config:

KeepAlive yes

The above did not solve the problem. I then guessed that the Red Hat Linux
firewall might be shutting down the connections. However, after stopping the
firewall the problem persists.

Any hints are appreciated. Thanks.

Sancho Neves-Graca