Re: X11 over SSH connection resets

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Sancho Neves-Graca wrote:

>Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:45:22 +0100
>From: Sancho Neves-Graca <sancho.neves-graca@onlinehome.de>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: X11 over SSH connection resets
>
>Hello,
>
>I use Red Hat Linux 7.3 to serve X11 applications over SSH. The
>client for these applications is Mac OS X running X11 client.
>The SSH connections drop after a few hours of inactivity on the
>client side. However, I would like to keep the connections open,
>such that the X11 applications are still alive from one day to
>another.
>
>For the Red Hat Linux server, in file /etc/ssh/sshd_config I added the
>following options
>
>KeepAlive yes
>ClientAliveInterval 180
>ClientAliveCountMax 1440
>
>And also in the Mac OS X client the following line was added to file
>/etc/ssh_config:
>
>KeepAlive yes
>
>The above did not solve the problem. I then guessed that the Red
>Hat Linux firewall might be shutting down the connections.
>However, after stopping the firewall the problem persists.
>
>Any hints are appreciated. Thanks.

This definitely isn't an XFree86 bug or problem.  It's either
misconfiguration of either your ssh server, your ssh client, or
some part of the internet infrastructure in between the two
machines such as a firewall, VPN, or other similar thing would be
my best guess.

Try lowering your MTU on the client side to see if that affects
the problem or not.  You're better off however using a more
appropriate mailing list such as valhalla-list.