Re: X11 over SSH connection resets

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Sancho Neves-Graca wrote:

>I use Red Hat Linux 7.3 to serve X11 applications over SSH. The client
>for these applications is Mac OS X running X11 client. The SSH
>connections drop after a few hours of inactivity on the client side.
>However, I would like to keep the connections open, such that the X11
>applications are still alive from one day to another.
>
>For the Red Hat Linux server, in file /etc/ssh/sshd_config I added the
>following options
>
>KeepAlive yes
>ClientAliveInterval 180
>ClientAliveCountMax 1440

180*1440 is very high. You're asking sshd to wait 3 days without getting
a response before declaring the client dead and terminating the session.

>The above did not solve the problem. I then guessed that the Red Hat
>Linux firewall might be shutting down the connections. However, after
>stopping the firewall the problem persists.

If it's not firewall related, I'd suggest running the client with "ssh
-v", or if that sheds no light, using tcpdump at both ends to watch
exactly what happens when the connection dies.

Cheers,

Phil