Dell C610 SXGA ATI mobility M6 VMware issues

Hi all, I hope someone will be able to help:
I have a

Dell C610 Latitude SXGA (1400 x 1050)
Running Redhat 7.3 in VMware workstation 3.2.0.
According to the Dell site, I have an ATI Mobility M6.

lspci unfortunately tells me that my controller is:
00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMWare Inc: Unknown device 0405

Graphical install of Redhat is possible in 7.3, but not in 8.0,
unsure of what graphics mode in which the install took place.
I have installed XF86Free 4.2.0 on 7.3

Have been trying both Xconfigurator and xf86config.
Have so far tried:

1)
ATI Radeon Mobility M6
Dell 1400x Laptop Display Panel
Probing (Error)

2)
ATI Radeon Mobility M7 (just to check)
Dell 1400x LDP.
Probing (Error)

3)
ATI Radeon Mobility M6
Dell 1024x LDP.
Probing (Error)

4)
ATI Rage 128 Mobility
Dell 1400x

5)
ATI Rage 128
Dell 1400x

6)
All the modes (although not ATI Mobility M6 LY - unable to find
that option) as specified in the Dell C610 list on linux-on-laptops.com

Attempting to run startx at the text prompt with both the window maximised
and 'window-sized' gives a 'No Screens found' error for all the ones tried.

Does anyone have any recommendations that I could try?  Given that the
first graphical install worked, there must be something really, really
basic I can use initially.

Is the issue with the non-identification of the controller the problem?  Is
that
a VMware issue?  Or an X86Free thing?

Thanks,

Wd