Re: Dell C610 SXGA ATI mobility M6 VMware issues

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Waidat Chan wrote:

>Dell C610 Latitude SXGA (1400 x 1050)
>Running Redhat 7.3 in VMware workstation 3.2.0.
>According to the Dell site, I have an ATI Mobility M6.

Installation of Red Hat Linux into VMware is completly
unsupported by Red Hat.

>lspci unfortunately tells me that my controller is:
>00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMWare Inc: Unknown device 0405

No, that's not unfortunate, it is 100% accurate.  Inside VMware,
your real video card is not ever seen by the operating system
being installed into the virtual machine.  The video hardware is
emulated by VMware, and shows up as the above special VMware
video card of device ID 0405.

>Graphical install of Redhat is possible in 7.3, but not in 8.0,
>unsure of what graphics mode in which the install took place.
>I have installed XF86Free 4.2.0 on 7.3

Installation may or may not work, however it is unsupported by
Red Hat in either case.

>Have been trying both Xconfigurator and xf86config.
>Have so far tried:
[SNIP]

None of those choices will work because inside VMware you do not
have an ATI Radeon Mobility.  You have a "VMware Inc unknown
device 0405" and no video driver for it because it is unsupported
by Red Hat.  In order for it to work, you need to install the
vmware XFree86 driver from VMware's website.

>6)
>All the modes (although not ATI Mobility M6 LY - unable to find
>that option) as specified in the Dell C610 list on linux-on-laptops.com

Yep, but again, inside VMware, it isn't an ATI Radeon Mobility
anymore.

>Attempting to run startx at the text prompt with both the window maximised
>and 'window-sized' gives a 'No Screens found' error for all the ones tried.

Because there is no vmware driver in RHL.

>Does anyone have any recommendations that I could try?  Given that the
>first graphical install worked, there must be something really, really
>basic I can use initially.

The first graphical install uses the kernel framebuffer, and so
is unrelated to the runtime environment.  Red Hat Linux 8.0
installer doesn't use FBDev anymore, it uses the native driver or
the vesa driver.

In any release of Red Hat Linux, the GUI installer tool working
to install the OS is completely unrelated as to wether or not
XFree86 will work on the system or not.

>Is the issue with the non-identification of the controller the
>problem?  Is that a VMware issue?  Or an X86Free thing?

The controller is identified properly as an unknown VMware video
device.  The driver just is not present, it is on VMware's
website somewhere.  The pcitable does not have an entry for it
because there is no driver to map it to, as it's unsupported.

Hope this helps.