Acrobat Reader full screen mode doesn't fill screen?

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>+That would be a bug in Acrobat Reader itself, not in XFree86.  XFree86 has
>+absolutely nothing to do with that sort of thing.  Also, we do not ship
>+acroread, and as such do not support it either.  You need to contact Adobe
>+if you've discovered an acroread bug.
>
>Yes, I know that, but I am at a loss to explain why it only seems to
>happen with the Radeon driver.  I know we don't have access to the
>acroread source, and I'm certainly not a graphics programmer, but I
>don't understand why acroread's behavior would be driver-dependent.  Does
>anyone have a suggestion about that?  (I ask the mailing list because
>acroread is not officially supported.

You claim this only happens with the Radeon driver.  While that
may be the case for you, I use acroread daily as part of my work,
and all of my main machines have Radeon hardware 99% of the time.

I've never even once encountered the problem you describe, and if
I had, I'd immediately assume it to be an acroread problem, or
poor interaction between Acroread (which is a Motif application),
and the window manager.

>+Also, just to note - I use Acroread daily, and do not have this problem.
>
>Yes, so do I, and I only have the problem with the Radeon driver (this
>machine is my only Radeon).  So one of the following must apply:
>
>(a) Mike hasn't used it in full screen mode.  (I hadn't until I went to
>project a slide show created with LaTeX.  I ended up doing the projection
>using that other OS.)

I use all applications _only_ maximized, so that isn't the case.

>(b) Mike hasn't tried it in full screen mode with the Radeon driver (or if
>he's tried it with another Radeon card, then not on the same machine I
>use).

Again, I only use applications maximized.  You were quite clear
about it being maximized also.

>(c) I'm imagining it.
>
>So any suggestions, verification, etc., would be welcome.  If it is
>plausibly an acroread bug, I will certainly file it with Adobe.

I never claimed you're imagining it.  I just classify the problem
as a non-video-driver problem.  The video driver draws graphics
on the screen.  Doesn't matter what video driver you're using,
the problem you are describing is at a layer that is not internal
to the video driver used.  It is at a higher level which is
outside X, namely the window manager and/or libraries the
application uses.

You can continue to think it is a Radeon driver bug if you like,
but that wont get you any closer to a solution.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,