Re: Pentium 4 Optimizations

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Tesla 13 wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I would like to adapt a Redhat 8.0 system to Pentium 4. The binaries, data,
> files and everything will be used, run and compiled on P4. I have no issue
> with compatability and I do not need anything to run on a 386, Pentium or
> PIII -- only P4.
>
> Is there a location where I can read a primer on this issue?

What on earth do you hope to gain? It will takes days, maybe weeks on a
single machine.

I don't know of any such documentation, it's years since I last saw
someone suggest it.

If you intend to persist, here's what I think I'd do.

1: Install absolutely everything.
2: Rebuild gcc and glibc.
3. Install those two packages. If you're going to gain anything, you
will gain most of in those two packages.
4. Run a script to build absolutely everything. Use 'set -e' so it stops
when something fails.

Ideally, you should install the entire result of the first run, and then
do it again. It is entirely possible that something will pick up stuff
it didn't build. I went throught this exercise a while ago, and there
was one package that would not build unless it was already installed.

The result of this process will not be something you can call "Red Hat
Linux." Read Red Hat's trademark guidlines. I don't think it will be as
reliable as Red Hat Linux either, because you will be exercising some of
the very newest features of gcc.