Re: Pentium 4 Optimizations

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 14:09, John wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Tesla 13 wrote:
> >
> > I would like to adapt a Redhat 8.0 system to Pentium 4. The binaries, data,
> > files and everything will be used, run and compiled on P4. I have no issue
> > with compatability and I do not need anything to run on a 386, Pentium or
> > PIII -- only P4.
>
> What on earth do you hope to gain? It will takes days, maybe weeks on a
> single machine.

You're right, but he's sort of got a point too.

It would be nice to have a document saying "such and such are the best
know practices to optimize the hell out of the programs compiled with
gcc-3.2, depending on the CPUs and on the specific workloads and on the
phases of the Moon, etc." ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

"If you play the WinXP CD backwards, you get a satanic message."
"That's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs WinXP."