Re: Pentium 4 Optimizations

Hello John,

What on earth do you hope to gain?
Even if I don't gain anything, I just don't want my binaries to run on a bloody 386 SX. Period.

It will takes days, maybe weeks on a single machine.
gcc + glibc + kernel takes a mere 3 hours on my system to compile (2.66 GHz P4 OCed to 3.0, monolithic kernel). The list of RPM packages I run is aroung 200. So the whole process does not take more than 10-12 hours on my machine to complete.

I don't know of any such documentation, it's years since I last saw
someone suggest it.
Does this mean no one is using a P4 or are they moving their binaries between their P4 systems and 386 SX'es? Linux distros work almost on anything and I doubt this is suitable for the newer generation of CPUs.

2: Rebuild gcc and glibc.
Yes, this is the first I am doing.

It is entirely possible that something will pick up stuff
it didn't build. I went throught this exercise a while ago, and there
was one package that would not build unless it was already installed.
All dependencies are find and everything builds good here.

The result of this process will not be something you can call "Red Hat
Linux."
It really does not matter.

I don't think it will be as reliable as Red Hat Linux either,
because you will be exercising some of the very newest features of gcc.
The system looks stable and performs real fast. Never experienced any trouble. However, I need 2nd opinion in case I missed something.

Thank you for your time!

Jimmy