Re: perl module version ordering differing from RPM

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:16:37 +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:

> >> Why does 1.061 -> 1.0.6.1 not work?
> >
> >How to decide when to split it like that?
>
> I'd do that for all perl stuff - i.e. modify the perl dependency
> auto-generation to use that version number, make my CPAN module RPM
> generation script use this scheme, and rebuild the Redhat perl RPMs to
> do it that way.
>
> Alternatively I might do it on a module by module basis (with a
> configuration file to control it, and forcibly reinstalling modules
> with the new scheme where necessary after I made a change).
>
> >Is 1.21 newer or older than 1.3.1?
>
> This issue shouldn't arise.
>
> >And for some software, 1.1a and 1.1b are older than
> >1.1.
>
> This shouldn't arise for perl stuff, I think.

Well, I referred to RPM, not the modified version numbers you would
choose yourself.  Of course, you can take version 1.05 of a software
and name the packages foo-1.0.5-1.*.rpm. That is up to you and
whether you think you can stay compatible with other packages who
don't split the version like that.

--
Highly recommended listening:
Instant Remedy - the CD - http://user.tninet.se/~hpe123d/