Re: perl module version ordering differing from RPM

On 29 Aug 2002 10:37:39 -0400, Chip Turner <cturner@redhat.com> wrote:

>You can't really do this.  Basically the only real solution is epochs;
>there simply is no one-to-one mapping of floats to RPM's vercmp.

Why does 1.061 -> 1.0.6.1 not work?

>I suspect you're trying to come up with a way to automatically generate
>RPMs from CPAN modules?  If so, I'd suggest looking at the
>RPM::Specfile module on CPAN.  It contains a script called cpanflute2
>that will do that.

I'm already auto-generating the RPMs, using a modified version of the
original cpanflute script. What I'm trying to do is fix the resulting
dependency hell :-)

>The biggest problem is that, with RPM, 1.06 is the same as 1.6.  So
>you can have two different strings that are equal in RPM's version
>comparison.

I don't think there are any CPAN modules that actually run into this problem
- if there was a 1.06 and a 1.60, RPM would give the correct answer (albeit
for the wrong reason). The major problem I've found is things like 0.291 and
0.30

Cheers,

Ganesh