perl module version ordering differing from RPM

Does anyone know of a nice fix for this problem? The issue is that perl
orders version numbers based on a floating point comparison, whereas RPM
compares version numbers on an essentially integer basis (precisely, it
splits the version number into the pieces separated by '.', then compares
each chunk, but without removing leading zeroes: so 1.06 < 1.10 but 1.061 >
1.10).

My best idea so far is to turn Perl's 1.061 into 1.0.6.1 (etc) when
generating version numbers for RPM. But this is a bit messy, and would also
require rebuilding all Redhat's packages to do the same thing.

I could make it slightly less messy by just inserting an extra '.' after the
first two digits after the first '.'  - so 1.061 would become 1.06.1, which
would be slightly less correct but still work for all the cases I've run
into so far. It should also minimise the need to rebuild the Redhat
packages.

Cheers,

Ganesh