Re: perl module version ordering differing from RPM

Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh@earth.li> writes:

> On 29 Aug 2002 10:37:39 -0400, Chip Turner <cturner@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >You can't really do this.  Basically the only real solution is epochs;
> >there simply is no one-to-one mapping of floats to RPM's vercmp.
>
> Why does 1.061 -> 1.0.6.1 not work?

To rpm, 1.61 and 1.061 are the same.  But 1.6.1 and 1.0.6.1 are
different.

> >I suspect you're trying to come up with a way to automatically generate
> >RPMs from CPAN modules?  If so, I'd suggest looking at the
> >RPM::Specfile module on CPAN.  It contains a script called cpanflute2
> >that will do that.
>
> I'm already auto-generating the RPMs, using a modified version of the
> original cpanflute script. What I'm trying to do is fix the resulting
> dependency hell :-)

I would highly suggest using cpanflute2; it has many more features, is
currently maintained, and is much easier to modify/extend.  cpanflute
is a dead path; cpanflute2 is alive, and I'm happy to include any
patches people come up with :)

Chip

--
Chip Turner                   cturner@redhat.com