Installing rpm's

Hello everyone.

I've been using RedHat for a while now, but a person doesn't seem to learn
certain things untill you hit a problem.  What my problem is, is when I try
and uninstall a rpm using "rpm -e", the comment is that the package is not
installed, and when I "rpm -i" the package, it says its already installed.
What don't I know? To me this doesn't make sense. I'm in the
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/ directory, maybe I'm int the wrong dir. Please help.

Another thing is I've installed samba at installation, and I don't find the
swat service anywhere. Using mc, I try find "swat*", but to no avail. Again,
please help.

Red Hat 7.3 (Valhalla)
Kernal  2.4.18-3 on an i586

Thanks, Trevor