ATA driver(SMART)

Hello, I need some guidance here:

I would like to send return_smart_status command to an
IDE device. This also returns some valuable data in
sector_count register.

(1) I have tried using direct inw(), inb_p(),
functions. But this would cause some lost_interrupt to
happen and at some times, cause the OS to hang. What
shall I do? Would inw(), inb_p() be not applicable?

(2) I have also tried HDIO_DRIVE_CMD. However, this
doesn't return the data in the sector_count register
after the RETURN_SMART_STATUS command. Or does it?

Is there anywhere I can find the source code that
supports the HDIO_DRIVE_CMD request to ioctl? I think
my program lacks some locking or some setting to
disallow other process to access the device.

Or does anyone have a good suggestion?

Regards,

-Ana