Dynamic or Static major minor number allocation...

Hi All,

Where I am working we developing some device drivers for some
proprietary hardware.  In the development of these device
drivers we came across the issue of major and minor numbers
for the device.  On one hand we can staticly assign them; on the
other hand we can get the dynamically.   Each approach has its
plusses and minuses, but I was wondering if any in the redhat
development community had any strong oppinions one way or the
other?

Cheers...james