Re: Installing rpm's

On 2002-07-17, Trevor Fraser wrote:

TF> I've been using RedHat for a while now, but a person doesn't seem to learn
TF> certain things untill you hit a problem.  What my problem is, is when I try
TF> and uninstall a rpm using "rpm -e", the comment is that the package is not
TF> installed, and when I "rpm -i" the package, it says its already installed.
TF> What don't I know? To me this doesn't make sense. I'm in the
TF> /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/ directory, maybe I'm int the wrong dir. Please help.
TF>
TF> Another thing is I've installed samba at installation, and I don't find the
TF> swat service anywhere. Using mc, I try find "swat*", but to no avail. Again,
TF> please help.
TF>
TF> Red Hat 7.3 (Valhalla)
TF> Kernal  2.4.18-3 on an i586

First of all, you should subscribe either to valhalla-list or
redhat-list, as this type of question has nothing to do with Red Hat
Linux _development_.

You are most likely trying to remove a package with its full file
name instead of its package name.

Consider this file name:

  example-1.0-5.i386.rpm

"example" is the package name, "1.0" the software/content version,
"5" the package version. The rest is irrelevant here.

  rpm -ivh example-1.0-5.i386.rpm

would install the package from file.

  rpm -e example
or
  rpm -e example-1.0-5

would erase it.

  rpm -q example
or
  rpm -q example-1.0-5

would see whether it is installed. It makes sense to leave out the
version numbers since you often remember only the package name
and then query which version of it is installed:

  $ rpm -q example
  example-1.0-5

HTH,
Michael