Alternative file systems? Was Re: Better File systems?

Well, Matt,

your post brought a smile. Thanks for your gentle response. As a closing
remark on my use of the word "stupid", yes, I chose that word with some
abandon - I'm aware of its potentially offensive reception. However, I
recall the arguments at the time quite vividly. My coleagues urged me to
let it go because on the other side of the argument were, in their words,
"just snot-nosed college kids who don't know any better." ...Being VERY
much younger than them at the time, I was a victem of age-discrimination,
and I remember being offended by their remarks but bit my tongue. Anyway,
unlike my coleagues, I foresaw the use of Unix for business computing and
lamented that the systems were so unstable and, in particular, that one
system crash could send you back to the distribution tapes to build the
system over from scratch... ...There really never was a particular reason
that disk meta-data wasn't taken more seriously except for the misguided
cry for "performance." My rethort was, "Yeah, some performance while
you're rebuilding your system from tape! Hah!"

ANYWAY... I'm using Linux for business these days and I like it a lot but
want a better file system. I've heard of quite a few new ones - new to me
anyway - and when I asked about it, nobody really replied with the kind of
response I was hoping for. Ext2 is all I've got working. I ran into a
mountain of hassle with ext3 - I just don't have time for crap that
doesn't work. I've learned from this list that ext3 works fine and it was
an installation or upgrade problem, but that doesn't tell me _anything_
about why I might want ext3. ...That's part of why I never followed
through on those installation and upgrade problems - no motive. Another
thing I was asking about I never heard anything about was the how/where
question - I only picked up that ext3 comes with RH7.x - and I already
knew that...

So, I think it'd be really neat if someone would put together a small
table outlining what's available for our beloved RedHat Linux
systems, telling us whether or not they're included with Red Hat, or
whether we have to hunt down the RPMS, etc., and perhaps with a brief
statement of the technology and good applications. What I'm thinking of
would be essentially a roll up of what we've read on this list in recent
days.

Anybody want to give this a try? I think it'd be a real service. Maybe
just reply with a summary of your personal favorite?

Thanks much,
Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist