Alternative file systems? Was Re: Better File systems?

Well, that'll teach me to interject without paying attention to the
bigger scope... Anyway, these seem to be some good docs:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs7/
    http://people.spoiled.org/jha/ext3-faq.html

I personally found it *very* easy to use EXT3. Just upgrade to 7.2 (I
suggest you install all the latest patches/upgrades too) and if the
filesystem is EXT2, run:

    tune2fs -j /dev/<some-partition>

then change the type to "ext3" in the "/etc/fstab" and reboot. Voila.
You probably already knew that though.

The major advantage (the only advantage I have seen) is it avoids the
long "fsck"s, though the first URL says a lot more about its pluses.

As far as losing data with "fsck"s, in the 500+ (now heading in the
thousands of) Unix boxes I worked with in the last 10 years I may have
seen perhaps 10 cases where really critical stuff got moved, lost, or
removed as a result of the "fsck" on a healthy disk. Most of the times
"fsck" did anything objectionable was when the disk was on its way out
anyway. Most other "fsck" victims have been temporary files from apps
that hadn't completed their work so the data was more than iffy (even
then it tended to be preserved, just not where you left it).

I'd have to say given my mostly positive experiences with "fsck", if
there was any significant performance degradation just to avoid "fsck"
type issues I'd probably stick with "fsck". However, if I could have the
performance (or most of it) and avoid "fsck" then obviously that's the
way I'd go. So far "ext3" seems pretty good in that respect, but I can't
say I've paid all that much attention.

Well good luck! Hope that was even vaguely useful.

			- Matt